Have you ever cooked pasta in a kettle, eaten the entire contents of the fridge only to discover half of it was past its use-by date, or got distracted by your phone and burnt your pizza to a crisp? These are just a few of the Fresher’s food fails we’ve heard about students committing at university or college. Some are pretty funny, but others are downright dangerous!
We’ve all been there, peering into an open fridge wondering “is that still okay to eat?” The fact is, there are all sorts of ways we put ourselves and those that we prepare food for at risk of food poisoning. Try our Kitchen Crimes quiz, and pick up some tips to help prevent future #FreshersFoodFails!
A lack of good kitchen hygiene can lead to food poisoning. Are you guilty of committing a ‘kitchen crime’ in your home?
Being away from home for the first time and cooking for yourself can be a daunting experience, with many of us having had a few food fails when we’ve first had to fend for ourselves. We’d love to hear about your own food fails, and you could win some great prizes if you do!
We’ll be sharing some of our own culinary disasters too and giving students and young people healthy eating and food safety tips to help them avoid future fails.
Share your fail for the chance to win a £200 voucher!
Head over to the Young Scot website to enter our Fresher’s Food Fail competition where you have a chance to win a £200 food shopping voucher and foodie care package by sharing your #FreshersFoodFails.
And while you’re there, find out more about healthy eating, tasty money-savers and the realities of allergies.
There are loads of things we can all do in the kitchen to crack down and make sure the food we cook is safe to eat. Don’t be a kitchen criminal - follow our guides on preparing, storing and cooking food.
Another way to avoid a #FreshersFoodFail is to make sure you’re eating the right food to give you enough energy to stay fit and active and enjoy life. Read our advice on eating a healthy balanced diet.